It’s Thursday, which means T-1 day till the weekend y T-9 days till the Lady Gaga Halftime Show/Superbowl!
I’m kind of excited, why lie? I just hope she goes back to her roots and doesn’t play anything from her new album because I still haven’t been able to get behind it, unless it’s Grigio Girls of course, because I’m always down for a little turtle time.
To this day, I still don’t understand Football pero I do understand Halftime!
I was one of those marching band geeks that would leave it all on the field during Halftime. I loved performing, and college marching band was something else, let me tell you. Everything is amplified x100; the crowds, the stage, and the sound!!
Unfortunately I only spent a year with the Fresno State Marching Band (Go Dogs!) but I will never forget the sensation of my skin crawling with excitement as the crowd roared and cheered us on as we came onto the field.
Sometimes I wish I would have stuck with Music Education, pero life took me in a different direction and I’m not too mad about it.
When La Guelaguetza approached me to see if I was interested in getting creative with their delicious Mole paste, I jumped at the opportunity. Si no la conocen, La Guelaguetza is a restaurant & James Beard Award recipent in LA that brings a little piece of Oaxaca to Los Angeles and they are well-known for their mole!
They currently carry mole negro, mole coloradito and mole rojo. Today I’m using the mole coloradito (which is sweet and mildly spicy with notes of cinnamon, chocolate, and guajillo) to make these honey mole glazed chicken wings that your good Judies will love wether you’re watching the actual game or el halftime show.
They’re sweet and sticky, smoky, a little spicy and they give me total General Tso vibes–and you don’t have to fry them! Honestly, I wish I had a platter of them in front of me right now because they are so damn good! If you’re new to mole, this is the perfect way to dip your lil toe in.
I’ll be making a ton of fun things with La Guelaguetza’s mole throughout February, asi que stay tuned!
- For the wings
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ⅓ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup of honey
- 2 tablespoons of mole coloradito
- ½ teaspoon crushed red paper flakes
- sesame seeds
- green onion
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss together the chicken wings, oil, salt, and pepper. Disperse the wings evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake your wings for 50-55 minutes until crispy and golden brown.
- In a small saucepan, mix the chicken stock, honey, mole coloradito and the red pepper flakes. Cook on medium-high heat for five minutes, whisking constantly until everything comes together.
- Toss the wings in the honey mole glaze and garnish with sesame seeds and green onion.