For as long as I can remember, my mom has been making her ensalada de fruta (or ambrosia) for Christmas. It’s become one of her signature dishes for the season, and if she brings some over, she will not leave me with any leftovers because she takes them all home–She loves it that much! I always enjoyed how every bite was different. You’d get the tartness from the pineapple, the crunch from the walnuts, and the sweetness from the peaches. I originally shared the recipe on Instagram for a sponsored post with Dole, but because I love the recipe so much and many of my Instagram followers also said this was also a staple during the Holidays I figured I’d share it on the blog as well! I have a few other recipes I’ve shared on Instagram, like the sopa de caracól and the cinnamon pineapple mezcal mule so I’ll be adding those to the site soon!
Have a great Holiday season!
- For the ensalada:
- 4 -15.25 oz cans of Dole tropical fruit, drained
- 1-20 oz can Dole pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup chopped walnuts * ¾ cup maraschino cherries, halved
- ⅓ cup toasted shredded coconut
- For the Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- In a large bowl combine the tropical fruit, pineapple chunks, mini marshmallows, chopped walnuts, maraschino cherries, and shredded coconut.
- To make the whipped cream, beat all the ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on low speed until combined then bump up the speed to medium high and beat until you get firm peaks.
- Fold the whipped cream into the bowl with the fruit and mix until the whipped cream has been fully incorporated. Chill in the fridge for about an hour before serving.